LOLLAPALOOZA // 7.28 - 7.31.2016

Over the weekend, Chicago held its most famous music festival Lollapalooza in Grant Park. Here you can mostly hear alternative, EDM, and rap music for the most part along with some pop artists and one country singer. This was my second time ever here and this time around I got a four day pass (usually a 3 day pass to help celebrate their 25th anniversary) instead of a one day pass and it is completely worth it. The tickets are a little expensive, but when you truly think about it you are getting your money's worth because the four day pass cost around $330, but I saw about four bands per day, but if you do not really care for all the day a one day is really worth it as well because they cost around $120.  I'm going to break it down day by day and say which bands I have seen.


DAY 1
Bastille- I have been obsessing over them for the past year or so because I am in love with their song "Flaws" and finally being able to hear it live made me so happy. They were the first band of the day and even though I was not in the pit for the full experience, they still put on an amazing show just by going wild and going in between the pits. I really did not know a lot of their song, but now I honestly cannot stop listening to them and Lolla made me love them even more somehow. Personally, I would go see them again for their next tour.

The 1975- After Bastille ended and we ate, I ran over to the stage that The 1975 were playing at and we stood there for over an hour just to get a good enough spot and just to be close to the love of my life Matty Healy. This was my second time seeing them and honestly they can make anyone have a good time whether you like them or not. Their music kinda sounds 80ish, but it is so much fun to dance to even though you cannot tell what he is saying. They sang pretty much all their top hits and more of their newer songs which I believe to be their best work yet. They were the number one band I was truly sad about after it was all done and over because I have always been a big fan of theirs and I just need to keep seeing them over and over and over again. 


J.Cole- To end the day, J.Cole was the major headliner for Day 1 along with Lana Del Ray, but I felt that I would have a much better time seeing J.Cole. I am not a big rap fan, but his music, especially some of his older stuff, can make me have a good time. Again I was not in the pit for this one either, but no matter where you were standing everyone was rapping at least one of his songs. He ended the night on a high note truly making the first day of Lolla the best one yet.

DAY 2- Chill Day
Saint Motel- This is another band I have also seen last year at Q101's Piqniq and I only knew their one song "My Type" and after that day I began to like more and more of their songs. One of my newer favorites of their's is "Cold Cold Man." They are a chill band and just a good beat to all their songs even though they do kinda sound the same, but they are still good. 

The Struts- The way I found out about this band was because they popped up in my Discover Weekly playlist on Spotify and I just thought they were another good band that can make anyone sing along to and just go crazy. I never really knew what they looked like about after seeing the lead singer I do not think I have seen so much glitter on a person's face and just wash away from how much he was sweating and also he kinda reminded me of Frank N. Furter from Rocky Horror Picture Show. He also mentioned how the band is originally from England, but no one really cared about their music until they came to the United States which I think is pretty cool. 

This day I really did not do much, but I was a little disappointed I did not get to see Mac Miller especially when he did my favorite song which is "Donald Trump." That just gives me an excuse to go see another show of his the next time he is in town. 

DAY 3
This day I actually went by myself because a lot of my friends could not last all straight four days of the fest and the other people I knew there all wanted to stay at the Perry's Stage which is where all the EDM stuff is usually at and I really do not care for that so I just went and saw all my favorite bands alone and I still enjoyed it. As a bonus I also got to see Bob Saget from Full House during Chris Stapleton's set and they had to move him to a "secret" area so people would stop chanting his name and actually watch the concert. I also could of met Niall Horan from One Direction, but I had no clue where he was.

  

My beautiful picture of Bob Saget

Chris Stapleton- To describe Chris Stapleton, his voice is like old country music like Johnny Cash old with a little bit of a modern twist. At pretty much every show his wife joins him as well and she is just as talent as he is and both of them together is just so beautiful to hear live. He did almost all of his songs off his newer album except one of my favorite songs which is "Whiskey and You," but he also did a jazz cover as well which I thought was pretty great. My favorite part of that entire set was at the very end when he sang his famous song "Tennessee Whiskey" and the way he looked at his wife and sung it was so beautiful and I am so happy that I caught it on my video. It was also cute to see the wife tear up on stage when the whole crowd was singing the chorus of "Fire Away" and you could tell by the expression on her face was priceless and could not believe that was actually happening.

Two Door Cinema Club/ Jane's Addiction- I personally do not listen to these bands, but I just went to both to them just to waste a little time and also get a good spot before Red Hot Chili Peppers came on. I stood for two songs for Two Door Cinema Club because I only knew one song of their's as well and after they sang that I left and just walked over to the other side of the park to get a good spot for the last headliner for the night and that is when Jane's Addiction was on and I have never wanted to unsee a show before, but after that I needed to wash my eyes with holy water or something to wash that memory away. The only person I knew in that band was Dave Navarro which I remember judging a really old singing competition show for rock music and I never knew he was in this band. I also found out that the lead singer, Perry Farrell, is also the founder of Lollapalooza which now explains why it is always crazy. During this set, I get that they were a rock band and had the girls dancing on stage and whatever thats fine, but at one point there were two girls standing with their backs to the crowd and no one really understood why until they zoomed in on their back. The girls literally had pierced their shoulders with hooks so they would be able to swing in the air. Their backs were bleeding and I do not understand how their skin did not rip or if it did I really do not know because I tried not to look for too long and not puke all over the ground. It was the weirdest and grossest thing I have ever seen.

Red Hot Chili Peppers- Whether you knew any or none of their songs, they probably put on one of the best shows just by doing the weird things that they do and just enjoying the way they play their music. I knew pretty much all their popular stuff and maybe one or two of their lesser known stuff, but I still had a great time just listening and just moving to the beat of their songs. I also have wanted to hear a song so bad in my life because I love the song "Under the Bridge" and I never sang so loud in my life and also never got so disappointed with my phone space because I had no room to record it at all. They are hands down a band that everyone needs to see at least once in their life. 

DAY 4
Halsey- I understand that not a lot of people like her during the last year or so and are bashing her just like Taylor Swift which I completely understand, but I just wanted to see her live to get it out of the way and also I have been waiting to hear "Colors" because that is really one of the songs I truly like by her even though everyone made jokes about one of the lines in that song. Personally, she just walks around the stage and will stop and do one little move and everyone would scream and just stand there the rest of the time which I really did not understand, but hey whatever. She is just a chill person to see and is a little extra at times. 

HAIM- I have never heard this band before in my life, but after watching them I have never felt so much girl power in my life. I only went to see them because my friends wanted a good spot for Ellie Goulding and we sat in the grass and just jammed to them. This all girl band had different style with each girl, but just by watching them they truly love what they were doing and I love their little dances they would do together. I am a little mad because they played some of their newer music which they are recording right now because one was such a jam and I just want to keep replaying it right now, but I have to wait until it comes out just so I can finally relive that moment again and they will probably be another band that I would love to see live again.

Ellie Goulding- To end the last night of Lolla, I went and saw Ellie Goulding which I was not too happy about in the first place. To be completely honest I was going to leave Lolla after Halsey because I hated Ellie. I just thought that her music was overplayed and I never liked any of her songs, but after seeing her live I can now admit that I now like her music. Her song "Army" was probably the best one I heard from her because it was about her best friend and personally I just thought it was a really cute song. I also think that she sounds a lot better live and she is also prettier in person as well because her pictures do not do her justice. She is another good person to just have a jam session too even though the radio stations overplay too much. 


I highly suggest going next year if they do the four day pass again or not because this fest is truly worth your money and you honestly will never regret going. I hope everyone loved my never ending snapchat story of concert after concert. Here is the three videos I took from the entire fest because I had no storage at all on my phone even with deleting apps and pictures, but whatever. 

Enjoy!

Videos


Comments