My Summer Internship 2017


After a long and exciting four months, my summer with the National Pro Fastpitch's Chicago Bandits has finally come to an end. During my time here, I wrote game recaps, produced videos for their Instagram story, conducted interviews, and so many other things. Today is my first day after their regular season is over and I am sad because I miss it already.

This team was an absolute blast to work with. When I first started with this team I never heard of them before and applied just so I can have something to do over the summer rather than sitting at home most of the time and actually apply myself to gain more resume experiences.  From time to time I would set up interviews with the girls and tell them where to be and these girls were completely easy to work with and I was actually surprised. I thought there would be some girls who would be difficult to deal with, but it was the complete opposite. These girls truly loved the game they played and enjoyed every single day they played at home and on the road.  Personally, some of the nicest and sweetest players, who are also now my favorites, were by far Brenna Moss, Kaia Parnaby, and Sammy Marshall. Even on nights, they were not always hot, they still are some of the more upbeat people to help cheer the team up and give some great quotes. 

Another thing that made this internship so great was the crew I got to work with. This outstanding team made every day even better and made passing out programs a little more fun on nights there were not big crowds. From time to time we may have gotten a little annoyed with each other spending most of our summer altogether, it was still worth it. Even on our last day, we waited until Katie F. wrote out the final game recap written by the interns and submitted before we all walked out together which we never did before. As I am sitting here writing this and listening to my Bandit's playlist I miss bopping around to some of my favorites up to bat songs (Moss' is the best, which is "Let's Get Married") and even making gifs while we caught the players doing something silly. 

A little story time about the gifs. So there is this one player, Emily Crane, and every time we had our cameras out to get recording we always caught her doing a random dance or making weird gestures and ended up getting it. Over half of the gifs made by us involved mostly her and she started to hide from us because of the ones we made, which I kinda find funny because she is just a cool and random person to be around. 

I am heading into my second year of college and have one internship under my belt and I highly recommend starting internships as soon as you can. Even if the internship is small and unpaid that's okay because it shows motivation and you are serious about what you are doing. I had a blast this summer and I will truly miss the Chicago Bandits, but now I can say that I will forever be a fan of them and I cannot wait to see what they do in the playoffs this weekend. 

Comments